Montag, 21. Juli 2014

MY TOP 5 TRAVEL PICKS

Finding nice souvenirs can sometimes end up in a huge hassle. How on earth is it possible that each and every store offers the exact same type of cheaply produced plastic crap, t-shirts, key chains (...you name it) ??? Lately, I've been on the mission to find some authentic pieces which I really love. So today's post will be a tribute to my favourite 5 travel picks.

No. 1: My new llama obsession
The first thing I absolutely adore is my little llama called Fred. I got him at a sort of craftmen's market in Santiago de Chile and fell immediately in love with him. His body is made out of genuine alpaca fur, which is so soft (It's so fluffy I'm gonna die!!!!!) Since my return, he has been happily living in my bed or couch and enlightens the room with his cute little face. Sometimes I even catch myself patting him while watching TV. Weird, isn't it?






No. 2: I told you I'm obsessed 
Well, don't laugh but my second pick also relates to the llama/ alpaca theme. During my stay in Chile I found this small woolen key chain. It's so creative and just screams "South America" which is why I had to get it. However, instead of delighting my keys with his presence I decided to turn him into a decorative item on my windowsill. I simply filled a small red bowl with colourful stones which I had collected at the beach in Chile and put my little friend on top. So now I'm the proud owner of a mini version of the Andes Mountains.   




No. 3: Shoes on the table
I'm a massive fan of the Netherlands and really wanted a beautiful souvenir for my collection. And what does represent Holland better than the typical wooden shoes?! So during a trip to Amsterdam I went on a hunt for traditional clogs and voilà found these little guys. First, I was planning to paint them blue with some flower patterns. But somehow I find the plain version a lot more chic now. If you can't tell from the pictures, I'm currently using them as containers for paperclips and occasionally for my laptop mouse. Hence, not only cute, but also practical..



No. 4: Watching the sunset
This year I finally had the chance to travel to Brazil. Even though I wasn't looking for a specific type of souvenir I hit the jackpot with this colourful wall decoration. We went on a guided tour to the Rocinha favela in Rio where I found this hand made piece of art on a small street market. Actually it's a recycled disc ("Somos América" from Tim Maia; you see, even double authentic ;-) ) and a metal lug from a can. I simply love the idea!


No. 5: Hanging out
Last but not least I'd like to mention another practical item which decorates my work station. I got this hanger at the Kek Loksi Temple in Penang, Malaysia as it displays some of the major attractions of the island. Back home, I added some bits and pieces with pins in order to give it a more interesting look. In my view, it's a perfect spot for storing postcards, letters or stationary and makes just a playful appearance in the office.



I hope I could give you some inspiration on how to integrate some of your souvenirs in your home. Feel free to leave a comment. I'd like to hear about your favourite travel picks :)


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen